Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Motion Detectors - What would work best for my situation?

Not long ago, one of my co-workers was mugged outside our workplace during the night hours. Since we have no real security and I'm currenty working their 3rd hours, I was hoping to invest in a small and cheap motion detector. I'd like one that I can conceal and alert me if anyone's outside our work entrance. I'd like to be quietly alerted with a seperate device that'd either light up or chime when activated. Anyone know of any good motion detectors that'd be ideal?Motion Detectors - What would work best for my situation?It all depends on what you mean by "cheap". There are motion detectors that will detect any and all objects moving across it's field of range including newspapers that the wind picks up. Then there are those that can only detect the heat of a body whether an animal or human, but can be adjusted to eliminate the infrared signature of an animal. These costs a little more. So you will have to define exactly which one you'd like. Is this for mounting outside on the building where you work? Here are two links that go from one extreme price wise to the other. Hope you find what you need.



http://www.homesecuritystore.com/motion_鈥?/a>



http://ww2.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Ca鈥?/a>Motion Detectors - What would work best for my situation?A torch



Sorry, but motion sensors need to have a constant depth of field. It picks up the moving objects in a closed environment, like a room.

--------------------------------

I have been thinking. Can you park your car directly in front of the back door?

If you can set a PIR in the grill at the front of the car, that can look at the back door.

There are PIRs (that look for movement and body heat so won't false alarm with newspaper in the wind). They can send a signal to an alarm that is powered by rechargeable battery.

It will cost a few hundred unless you know someone in the business but can be used in a home environment too.

(Don't drive around with it in the engine area, it may not like getting too hot)

No comments:

Post a Comment