Saturday, February 18, 2012

What does my f/stop and shutter speed need to captured blurred motion on my SLR?

I have a photo assignment to capture blurred motion and I thought I was shooting it right but apparently I wasn't. I just need to know what the ideal shutter speed and f/stop would be for a sunny day outside so I can get some blurred images.What does my f/stop and shutter speed need to captured blurred motion on my SLR?It depends on how fast the subject is moving that you want to blur! Is it a person walking? Water flowing? Car driving past?



Bear in mind that if its a sunny day and you want a slowish shutter speed, then you are going to have to stop down the aperture considerably. You may not be able to stop it down enough if you want a longish exposure. You'd then have to consider using a neutral density filter to cut the light down.



If you look at sunny 16 rule, assuming you shoot at ISO 100, then on a bright sunny day, your shutter speed/aperture combination starts with 1/125 (nearest whole stop) at f16



If you want to shoot at 1/30 sec, that's 2 stops more light, so you have to stop down 2 stops - which means f32 - not all lenses stop down this far.



If you buy a 3 stop ND filter, you can shoot at 1/30 sec and an aperture of f11.What does my f/stop and shutter speed need to captured blurred motion on my SLR?
Panning is the only way to get blurred motion and make it look right. The shutter speed is determined by subject distance and speed.



How fast is the car going, and how far away? 1/60 would be a good starting point for a car moving 40MPH. As you go slower on shutter speed, you get more motion, but also more blown shots.



Position your body to track the subject, fire and follow through. You want to be firing at the apex of the turn with your body.



here's more on panning:



http://www.cgipix.com/Photography_Shutte鈥?/a>



here's a motorcycle taken at 1/200 second:



http://www.cgipix.com/Portfolio_Motorcyc鈥?/a>



much slower and the bike would have ended up with too much blur. He was also doing 100+MPH through the turn, and was less than 20 yards away.What does my f/stop and shutter speed need to captured blurred motion on my SLR?On a sunny day, if you want correctly exposed images, use a higher f number, definitely above 8.



I would use a shutter speed [Depending on the f stop, of 30th-100th of a second, 30th would be the blurriest.]What does my f/stop and shutter speed need to captured blurred motion on my SLR?
deep blue2 is right.



Try using a long lens and panning with the action.What does my f/stop and shutter speed need to captured blurred motion on my SLR?I did something like this in the 60's.

Cool. And if memory serves, I got a papal dispensation from the instructor as I was quite strapped for cash at the time and was allowed to use asa 32 b%26amp;w kodak film to do the assignment.

And that made the assignment quite easy.



With any film, use asa for shutter speed. And F-16 for the aperture. On a bright sunlight day.



So. With asa 32 film, I used a shutter speed of 1/30 sec at F-16.

The other faster shutter speed I could use was 1/60 sec at F-22. And that was the fastest I could go because my camera did not have another aperture smaller.

The other shutter speeds went even slower and using a camera tripod for most of the pics I took, the assignment went quite easily.

To easily.



So. I remembered some pics from a book, titled The Family of Man, plus some other photo magazines then in circulation and began my quest. Sounds great ! And it was.

I hopped a bus down town and snapped pics of riders, smeared recognizable landmarks, smeared oncoming traffic and landscape, did same with scenes and had traffic going away with trucks and other autos going my way in kinda sorta focus to reasonable focus. One lucky snap had a recognizable face ! And that was a blast. Found person months later and gave a copy of pic to him.



The fall Alaska Fair or whatever it was called was weeks away and later I did the assignment with neutral density filters and Kodak tri-x film. I rode on every ride, shutter snapping at speeds of 1/30, 1/15, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1 second, 2 seconds. But by then I had learned some things. I talked with the managers of the fair and got a pass for free rides, id., and asked some people if I could take pics of them telling them I would take first of them with fast enough shutter speed for them to be recognizeable, and the rest with slow shutter speeds for a photo assignment.



Long story short, I got sick on some rides.

Day started out bright and sunny, worked through night till closing.

Shot like 10 36 exposure rolls film.

Got a decent grade on the assignment.

And made a small fortune selling pics of people and fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment