Saturday, February 18, 2012

Why do I have problems using CFLs with motion sensor outlets?

I have tried to replace bulbs in three different motion sensor fixtures with CFLs and had problems with all. The ones in my garage will turn on, but the lights will start to flicker within a couple minutes. The fixtures on the outside of my garage, will turn on when the motion sensor is activated, but do not shut off after 10 minutes as they should. All of these fixtures work fine with incandescent bulbs in them. All of the bulbs/fixtures I have replaced inside work fine with the CFLs, and I have tried to switch those bulbs with the outside ones, and had the same problems. My temperatures in Chicago have been moderate, 50s-80s, over the last couple weeks, so I wouldn't think that would be the problem. Help!Why do I have problems using CFLs with motion sensor outlets?most motion sensors are constantly drawing a small portion of the power requirement from the circuit to keep operaational.

CFL or all fluorescent bulbs are made to use the full 120volts supplied by regulated AC current which is stepped up to a higher voltage in order to fire the gasses inside the fluorescent bulb.

IF the power gets below 120v, like, say 108, or 105 volts, a regular incandescent bulb will actually last LONGER, while the drop in voltage will not allow the fluorescent to fire completely.

That's why you get the flicker affect, and probably will find that they won't last very long.Why do I have problems using CFLs with motion sensor outlets?You may want to conact the manufacturer of the CFL and inquire but I know that you are not suppossed to use the CFL on Dimmers or Timers. I'd be fairly certain that they would not ideally be used for that application either.

No comments:

Post a Comment